We’ve all heard the old adage “An apple a day keeps the doctor away.” Well there’s some real truth to that. From Suite101.com:
The Health Benefits of Apples
- Help protect bone health
- Help prevent asthma, heart disease, and cancers such as lung, breast, colon, and liver
- Research also suggests that the phytonutrient called quercetin may help to prevent Alzheimer’s and Parkinsonism
- Pectin in apples can help to lower LDL cholesterol
- Good for diabetes and weight management
- Good source of vitamin C
- Good source of soluble and insoluble fiber
- Excellent source of flavanoids and antioxidants
Besides the health benefits, apples are great because they’re portable, highly versatile, inexpensive and delicious.
My favorite apple variety is the Pink Lady. They’re the perfect combination of sweet and tart, incredibly juicy, nice and firm, and not the least bit gritty. I hate gritty apples.
Pink Ladies are in season right now! Do yourself a favor and pick up a bunch – they make a great snack! When selecting your apples, keep in mind that the pinker, the better.
I heard somewhere that when you’re hungry between meals you should eat an apple… And if you can’t bring yourself to have an apple, you’re not that hungry.